unisa logo

How do I become a secondary Languages teacher?

Language teachers develop students’ awareness of the diversity of languages, cultures and forms of intercultural communication. They engage students in a range of interaction contexts to develop their multilingual capability.

What do I need to study?

To become a Secondary Languages Teacher you will need to study one of the following options below.

On successful completion of the Master of Teaching (Secondary) or the Bachelor of Secondary Education (Honours), you will meet the criteria to apply for registration as a teacher in South Australia and interstate. Other criteria may apply.


Four year undergraduate Honours degree.

Take a direct path into secondary teaching with a four year undergraduate Honours degree. Complete a major and sub-major in the Learnings Areas of your choice, both teachable from years 7 – 12.

Bachelor of Secondary Education (Honours) - SATAC Code 434003

AND Choose
> French*
> Italian*
> or Japanese*
as either your major or sub-major Learning Area


Packaged Bachelor and Master program.

Consider a packaged program to guarantee your place into the Master of Teaching (Secondary)^. Apply directly to SATAC using the unique code listed.

Choose the Bachelor of Arts/Master of Teaching (Secondary) 
(SATAC Code 444521)



Bachelor degree with Master option.

Enjoy the flexibility of completing a bachelor degree with the option to continue with postgraduate studies in teaching and graduate in five years.

On successful completion of your undergraduate degree, you will need to apply via SATAC and enrol in the following postgraduate program in teaching with UniSA:

Master of Teaching (Secondary) – Languages Education
(SATAC code: 4CM119)


* Assumed knowledge for the French, Italian or Japanese major or sub -major:
SACE Stage 2 Language

Other requirements

Got questions? We're here to help!

Our friendly Future Student Enquiries team can answer your questions about applying, fees, pathway options and more.

Enquire now