unisa logo

How do I become a secondary Health and Physical Education (PE) teacher?

Health and PE teachers engage students in challenging experiences to develop health and physical literacies, foster success and joy in learning and promote healthy lifestyles and wellbeing. 

What do I need to study?

To become a Secondary Health and Physical Education Teacher you will need to study one of the following options below.

On successful completion of the Master of Teaching (Secondary) or the Bachelor of Secondary Education (Honours), you will meet the criteria to apply for registration as a teacher in South Australia and interstate. Other criteria may apply.


Packaged Bachelor and Master program.

Consider a packaged program to guarantee your place into the Master of Teaching (Secondary)^. Apply directly to SATAC using the unique code listed.

Choose the Bachelor of Human Movement/Master of Teaching (Secondary) *
SATAC Code 414401 


Bachelor degree with Master option.

Enjoy the flexibility of completing a bachelor degree with the option to continue with postgraduate studies in teaching and graduate in five years.

Choose the Bachelor of Human Movement  (SATAC code: 414231 (3 years) *

or pair it with a

Bachelor of Psychological Science (Counselling and Interpersonal Skills) (SATAC code: 414421)
or a Bachelor of Nutrition and Food Sciences  (SATAC code: 414431) (both 4 years).

On successful completion of your undergraduate degree, you will need to apply via SATAC and enrol in the following postgraduate program in teaching with UniSA:
Master of Teaching (Secondary) – Health and Physical Education (SATAC code: 4CM117)

Other requirements

Got questions? We're here to help!

Our friendly Future Student Enquiries team can answer your questions about applying, fees, pathway options and more.

Enquire now


* Students enrolled in the Bachelor of Human movement need to select the Health and Physical Education specialisation.
A double degree + Master of Teaching will take six years to complete.