This Minor and Sub-Major prepares students to have the minimum foundational knowledge, practical, planning, instruction and critical thinking skills to begin professional practice as an outdoor leader in introductory environments with non-complex groups. The Sub-Major includes additional knowledge and experience to practice in a broader range of contexts with increased depth in engaging others in social justice/Indigenous perspectives. Students completing an Education program or continuing to Masters of Teaching will meet requirements to teach Outdoor Education to Year 10 upon completion of the Minor, and to year 12 with the Sub-Major.
- This course requires students complete the Basic Skills in Kayaking either externally or through the University of South Australia prior to the course commencing.
- This course requires completion of 'Provide First Aid' prior to commencing.
- This course requires 10 days of expedition field work primarily in bush-walking contexts prior to commencing.
- This course requires a National Criminal History Record Check, and completion of Child-Safe Environments training before completion.
- All courses require a minimum level of physical competence to undertake bush-walking and canoeing/kayaking expeditions.
- The Sub Major requires completion of 27 units from the courses listed.